Re: [Fecframe] request for pub draft-ietf-rtp-raptor-04

Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inrialpes.fr> Fri, 18 March 2011 14:17 UTC

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:18:27 +0100
From: Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inrialpes.fr>
To: gjshep@gmail.com, "Luby, Michael" <luby@qualcomm.com>
Cc: iesg-secretary@ietf.org, fecframe@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Fecframe] request for pub draft-ietf-rtp-raptor-04

Greg, Mike, everybody,

We had a discussion last month on the topic:
         "Managing losses between the sending application
          and the FECFRAME instance"
as part of the framework I-D (see the bottom of page 41 for
the agreed text).

The RTP Raptor I-D is of course concerned by this discussion
and unfortunately this -04 version is from November 2010,
before the discussion.

Unless I missed some key sentence, I have the feeling that this
I-D implicitly assumes there CANNOT be any RTP packet loss
before reaching the Fecframe encoder, i.e. the RTP SN are always
in sequence.

(NB: the only text I've found that discusses RTP SN is in
section 3 and does not mention this requirement at all)

It's a critical requirement that MUST be clearly stated. If there is
any risk this requirement does not hold, the I-D MUST define an
appropriate behavior. So it's worth a quick fix (it's fairly easy) IMHO.
Note that it might also be an attack (in specific deployment
scenarios, not all of them of course), so it's also worth saying a
few words in section 12 as well (BTW, we should do the same in
the FEC Framework I-D, I didn't realize that before, sorry).

Cheers,

   Vincent