Re: [Forces-protocol] RE: sync with BNF as discussed with model folks

Robert Haas <rha@zurich.ibm.com> Wed, 20 October 2004 03:55 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:07:35 +0200
From: Robert Haas <rha@zurich.ibm.com>
To: hadi@znyx.com
Subject: Re: [Forces-protocol] RE: sync with BNF as discussed with model folks
Cc: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <hormuzd.m.khosravi@intel.com>, forces-protocol@ietf.org
Sender: forces-protocol-bounces@ietf.org

I hope my note makes it before Jamal's noon ... Finally I got a 3 hours
slot on a train ride (with phone off and no email access) to read the
threads ...

In summary:

- I think it is good to keep the query separate from config. Reasons
given by Steve/Zsolt sound very valid to me.

- I am glad to see the "consolidation" into FE Protocol LFB operations
of FE attributes config, FE events, and association maintenance messages.

- The heartbeat message is currently not "targeted" at the FE protocol
LFB. It is an exception to the rule. The reasoning was to keep such
messages as short and simple as possible. Basically, you have the choice
between a heartbeat to look like this:

main hdr (eg type = heartbeat)

      +--- T = LFBselect

               +-- LFBCLASSID = FE Protocol LFB Class (=0x01)

               +-- LFBInstance = FE Protocol LFB Instance(=0x01)

or like this:

main hdr (eg type = heartbeat)

The difference is only 6-8 bytes (I don't remember what was the final
consensus for the T in the TLV). But as the values in the LFBSelect TLV
must ALWAYS be 0x01 and 0x01 (we have statically defined the class and
instance ID of the FE protocol LFB), it is a waste to transmit them. And
if you do, then someone might use wrong values and then you have to
decide how to deal with such cases.

Regards,
-Robert

Robert Haas