Re: terminology was Re: Model draft

"tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com> Wed, 09 January 2008 15:39 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 16:39:41 +0100
From: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: terminology was Re: Model draft
Comments: To: "Joel M. Halpern" <joel@stevecrocker.com>

With apologies for bottom posting

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <joel@stevecrocker.com>
To: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 4:31 AM

> The ports of an LFB class definition are not "components" in any sense.
>   They are definitions which are referenced by components in the FE LFB
> instance.  The port references are used to provide semantically
> meaningful interaconnect among the LFB instances.
>
> To explain the class / instance distinction a little relative to the use
> of components, the LFB Class definition defines the IDs for the
> components of the LFB.  A structure definition defines the IDs
> components of that structure.
> In the protocol however, what are referenced are actual instances of
> components in actual instances of LFB Classes.  The protocol does not
> ever need to reference an LFB class in the abstract.  The LFB Class ID
> is used for definitional purposes, to indicate what class is being
> referenced when an instances is created or described, and is used to
> help identify the instance as a simple way to create unique IDs.
>
> To return to your trailing question, Events are not actually components.
>   One can not perform a GET or SET on an event.  However, in order that
> the event properties not collide with the properties of actual
> components of an LFB (class or instance), the LFB Class definition
> portion for events assigns a top level component ID to use for them.  To
> allow the protocol to easily refer to the events, the events themselves
> use a second level component ID.  But no, events are not actually
> components.
>
> One aspect that some of your notes touch on.  It is important to
> remember that the entire XML is simply a descriptive technique to allow
> us to document the IDs and their meanings so that they can be used in
> the protocol.  The ForCES protocol itself is not XML.
>
> Yours,
> Joel
>
> tom.petch wrote:

I think so but I am uncertain about 'other LFB components'; you exclude ports
and events, which agree with, so for me that just leaves the <components> in the
LFBClassDef, which I take to be the operational components of s4.7 (a usage I
like) ie would not operational components be a better term than other LFB
components?

No strong preference, you choose and then I will revisit my boggy areas in the
I-D to see if I can suggest some clearer terminology

And I take your point about this not being XML on the wire, it is something I
tend to forget.

Tom Petch