Re: [ftpext] [Uri-review] draft-yevstifeyev-ftp-uri-scheme-02 posted

"Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Mon, 20 June 2011 08:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:39:53 +0900
From: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Cc: ftpext@ietf.org, uri-review@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ftpext] [Uri-review] draft-yevstifeyev-ftp-uri-scheme-02 posted

Hello John,

I'm not at all an expert in FTP, nor in the details of the current ftp:
URI implementations. But the overall direction of your mail seems to be
"if it's in the FTP protocol, then it has to be in the ftp URI scheme".

In my eyes, that's just a non sequitur. If you look at HTTP, there are a
lot of bits and pieces that are in the protocol but are not in the URI
scheme, for good reasons. If you look at the mailto: URI scheme, then
there are also a lot of features in SMTP and in the message format that
are not available in the scheme. In fact for the mailto: scheme, in my
understanding, the header part of the message format is now covered, but
it was the spec that caught up with implementations, not the other way
round.

Also, to claim that a spec that describes what's currently implemented
(let's assume it does) can only go to informational, and that for
standards track, it's necessary to cover all the features in the base
protocol is totally new to me. As far as I understand it, the IETF is
first and foremost about "rough consensus and running code" and only
later about "known technical omissions".

With that, I don't want to necessarily say that I would disagree with
what you wrote e.g. specifically about the TYPE parameter. But I very
strongly think that this and other details have to be argued on their
merits, rather than on a on the base of a non-existing principle of "if
it's in the protocol, it has to be in the URI scheme".

Regards,   Martin.