Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Nicolas review, question #4: Routing protocols

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Thu, 14 April 2016 08:01 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'Mitar' <mmitar@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:01:07 +0200
Cc: 'gaia' <gaia@irtf.org>, 'Nicolás Echániz' <nicoechaniz@altermundi.net>
Subject: Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Nicolas review, question #4: Routing protocols

Hi,

What about this new version? Thanks!

7.1.2.2.  Mesh routing protocols

   A large number of Alternative Networks use the Optimized Link State
   Routing Protocol (OLSR) as defined in [RFC3626].  The pro-active link
   state routing protocol is a good match with Alternative Networks
   because it has good performance in mesh networks where nodes have
   multiple interfaces.  Special features and improvements (not included
   in [RFC3626] are being added to OLSR [olsr.org], and a new version of
   the protocol (OLSR2) is being developed.

   Babel [RFC6126] is a loop-avoiding distance-vector routing protocol
   that is robust and efficient both in wired and wireless mesh
   networks.  It limits the frequency and duration of routing loops and
   black-holes during reconvergence.

   The Better Approach To Mobile Adhoc Networking (BATMAN) [Abolhasan]
   protocol was developed by members of the Freifunk community.  The
   protocol handles all routing at layer 2, creating one bridged
   network.  BATMAN-Advanced, which supports roaming inside a mesh
   network is nowadays more popular.

   Parallel to BGP, some networks also run the BMX6 protocol
   [Neumann_a], which started as a fork of BATMAN.  It is based on IPv6
   and tries to exploit the social structure of Alternative Networks.

   In [Neumann_b] a study of three proactive mesh routing protocols used
   in wireless community networks (BMX6, OLSR, and Babel) is presented,
   in terms of scalability, performance, and stability.

Best regards,

Jose