Re: [gaia] New Version Notification for draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-02.txt. The axes for the classification

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Mon, 16 February 2015 16:05 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'Javier Simó' <javier.simo@urjc.es>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, 'Maria Uden' <Maria.Uden@ltu.se>, 'Matthew Ford' <ford@isoc.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 17:03:40 +0100
Cc: gaia@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [gaia] New Version Notification for draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-02.txt. The axes for the classification

Hi all,

You are right: the current version of the draft says something a bit
confusing:

   Different criteria are used in order
   to build a classification as e.g., the ownership of the equipment,
   the way the network is organized, the participatory model, the
   extensibility, if they are driven by a community, a company or a
   local (public or private) stakeholder,

Taking into account your proposals, I have tried to build a scheme with five
“axes” of the classification. They could perhaps be:

1) Commercial model / promoter
* community
* public stakeholder
* company
* crowdshared
* shared infrastructure
* research testbed

2) Goals and motivation (Henning’s classification)
* reducing initial capital expenditures (for the network and the end user,
or both)
* providing additional sources of capital (beyond the traditional
carrier-based financing)
* reducing on-going operational costs (such as backhaul or network
administration)
* leveraging expertise
* reducing hurdles to adoption (digital literacy; literacy, in general;
relevance, etc.)

3) Typical scenarios
* urban
* rural
* rural in developing countries

4) Technologies employed (Javier’s list)
* normal WiFi
* WiLD
* modified WiFi with TDMA MAC
* 802.16-compliant systems over non-licensed bands
* white spaces - 802.22 compliant solutions
* satellite solutions
* low-cost optical fiber systems

5) Network management
* Centralized