Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Mitar review, question #5: Community Networks

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Thu, 14 April 2016 08:48 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'Mitar' <mmitar@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:47:57 +0200
Cc: 'gaia' <gaia@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Mitar review, question #5: Community Networks

Hi,

Let's just leave
> it as it was. It describes Internet, which community networks anyway are
(a new
> generation of it). :-)

Let us leave this version then:

   The fact of the users adding new infrastructure (i.e. extensibility)
   can be used to formulate another definition: A Community Network is a
   network in which any participant in the system may add link segments
   to the network in such a way that the new segments can support
   multiple nodes and adopt the same overall characteristics as those of
   the joined network, including the capacity to further extend the
   network.  Once these link segments are joined to the network, there
   is no longer a meaningful distinction between the previous and the
   new extent of the network.  The term "participant" refers to an
   individual, who may become user, provider and manager of the network
   at the same time.

> >    +-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
> >    | Goals and motivation  | all the goals listed in Section 4.2 may   |
> >    |                       | be present                                |
> >
> > +-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
>
> I like it.
>
> > What about this?
> >
> >    In Community Networks, profit can only be made by offering services
> >    and not simply by supplying the infrastructure, because the
> >    infrastructure is neutral, free, and open (mainstream Internet
> >    Service Providers base their business on the control of the
> >    infrastructure).  In Community Networks, everybody usually keeps the
> >    ownership of what he/she has contributed, or leaves the stewardship
> >    of the equipment to network as a whole, commons, even loosing track
> >    of the ownership of a particular equipment itself, in favor of the
> >    community.
>
> I like it.
>
> > PS: This would be the whole subsection:
> >
> > 5.1.  Community Networks
> >
> >    +-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
> >    | Commercial            | community                                 |
> >    | model/promoter        |                                           |
> >    +-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
> >    | Goals and motivation  | all the goals listed in Section 4.2 may   |
> >    |                       | be present                                |
> >    +-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
> >    | Administration        | non-centralized                           |
> >    +-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
> >    | Technologies          | Wi-Fi [IEEE.802-11-2012], optical fiber   |
>
> Maybe mentioning that it can be both standard and non-standard? So
community
> networks are probably the most open to hacking and changing things to non-
> standard operations from all alternative networks. We should convey that.

I agree:

5.1.  Community Networks

   +------------------+------------------------------------------------+
   | Commercial       | community                                      |
   | model/promoter   |                                                |
   +------------------+------------------------------------------------+
   | Goals and        | all the goals listed in Section 4.2 may be     |
   | motivation       | present                                        |
   +------------------+------------------------------------------------+
   | Administration   | non-centralized                                |
   +------------------+------------------------------------------------+
   | Technologies     | Wi-Fi [IEEE.802-11-2012] (standard and non-    |
   |                  | standard versions), optical fiber              |
   +------------------+------------------------------------------------+
   | Typical          | urban and rural                                |
   | scenarios        |                                                |

           Table 1: Community Networks' characteristics summary

> >    Hardware and software used in Community Networks can be very diverse,
> >    even inside one network.
>
> Diverse and customized?

Ok!

   Hardware and software used in Community Networks can be very diverse
   and customized, even inside one network.  A Community Network can
   have both wired and wireless links.  Multiple routing protocols or
   network topology management systems may coexist in the network.