Re: [gaia] fb's Free Basics in India

Nick Feamster <feamster@CS.Princeton.EDU> Mon, 28 December 2015 12:13 UTC

From: Nick Feamster <feamster@CS.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 14:13:30 +0200
To: Jon Crowcroft <jon.crowcroft@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Cc: "gaia@irtf.org" <gaia@irtf.org>, Richard Dent <rd459@cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [gaia] fb's Free Basics in India

Agreed, and I hadn’t even thought about point #2.  I don’t use Facebook, and it’s quite frustrating when people/groups/etc. have their “web pages” as Facebook pages that require me to sign up for Facebook just to see a web page.  This happens before pricing even comes into play; what happens when the Facebook webpages are free but other webpages are not?

One company having increasing control over “the Internet” (or at least what some people think of as the Internet) seems like it carries significant potential for abuse of monopoly in the best case scenario. In the worst cast scenario, governments who want to censors or control the Internet no longer need to play with the ISPs… they can just work quietly with Facebook (often circumventing rule of law, e.g., wiretapping, etc.).

-Nick