Re: [Gen-art] Gen-art Telechat review: draft-mm-netconf-time-capability-08

Tal Mizrahi <talmi@marvell.com> Wed, 16 September 2015 06:29 UTC

From: Tal Mizrahi <talmi@marvell.com>
To: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 06:29:03 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.4.102.210]
Cc: "joel jaeggli (joelja@bogus.com)" <joelja@bogus.com>, General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, "draft-mm-netconf-time-capability.all@ietf.org" <draft-mm-netconf-time-capability.all@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-art Telechat review: draft-mm-netconf-time-capability-08

Hi Robert,

> The document doesn't reflect the email discussion we had around how
> certain 3rd parties can cancel commands. I encourage adding at least a
> sentence reminding implementers and experimenting operators to remember
> that they can.

Based on this email discussion we have added the last paragraph of Section 6.2 (see below). Please let us know if you believe this issue should be discussed further.

   This YANG module defines the <cancel-schedule> RPC. This RPC may be
   considered sensitive or vulnerable in some network environments.
   Since the value of the <schedule-id> is known to all the clients that
   are subscribed to notifications from the server, the <cancel-
   schedule> RPC may be used maliciously to attack servers by canceling
   their pending RPCs. This attack is addressed in two layers: (i)
   security at the transport layer, limiting the attack only to clients
  that have successfully initiated a secure session with the server,
   and (ii) the authorization level required to cancel an RPC should be
   the same as the level required to schedule it, limiting the attack
   only to attackers with an authorization level that is equal to or
   higher than that of the client that initiated the scheduled RPC.

Thanks,
Tal.