[Gen-art] Re: FW: Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-segment-recovery-02

Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> Wed, 27 September 2006 13:42 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:42:37 -0400
To: Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com
From: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
Cc: fenner@research.att.com, gen-art@ietf.org, dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel.be, adrian@olddog.co.uk, rcallon@juniper.net, ibryskin@movaz.com, lberger@labn.net, dbrungard@att.com
Subject: [Gen-art] Re: FW: Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-segment-recovery-02

Pasi,

Thanks for the comments.  see below for responses in-line.

At 10:11 AM 9/26/2006, Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com wrote:

>(Forwarding with updated email address)

will fix that.

Much thanks for the comments.

> > Document: draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-segment-recovery-02
> > Reviewer: Pasi Eronen
> > Review Date:  September 26, 2006
> > IETF LC Date: September 20, 2006
> > IESG Telechat date: not known yet

> > I can tell with my limited knowledge of GMPLS and RSVP-TE), but
> > has nits that should be fixed before publication.
> >
> > First a disclaimer: I am not very familiar with GMPLS or RSVP-TE,
> > so my comments are of rather general nature.
> >
> > - Since this document defines bits originally marked as "RESERVED"
> >   in [E2E-RECOVERY], it probably should be listed in "Updates:" list
> >   on the cover page.

done.

> > - Section 4.1 is a bit unclear on whether it's defining a new
> >   subobject or modifying something that already exists.

I'm a bit confused on your comment.  If you look at the beginning of
the section (4) it starts:

    Secondary Explicit Route objects, or SEROs, may be used to indicate
    the branch and merge nodes of recovery LSPs.  They may also provide
    additional information that is to be carried in a recovery LSP's ERO.
    When upstream control of branch and merge nodes is not desired, SEROs
    are not used.

Also earlier in the document, section 2 states:

    [...] This is accomplished using
    a new object.  This object uses the same format as an ERO and is
    referred to as a Secondary Explicit Route object or SERO, see section
    4.1.  SEROs also support a new subobject to indicate the type of
    protection or restoration to be provided.

>Currently,
> >   the only explanation is "The protection subobject is not valid
> >   for use with the Explicit and Record Route objects and MUST NOT
> >   be included in those objects." It might be more understandable
> >   to start by explaining where it is valid, and where it can be
> >   included.

Okay, I'll some text into 4.1 and 4.1.1 that will hopefully make this
more clear.

As previously stated,

> > - Section 9 (IANA considerations) is extremely unclear on what
> >   exactly IANA is supposed to do (e.g., in which registry
> >   assignments should be made, and what exactly is to be assigned
> >   there), and should be rewritten according to the guidelines in
> >   Section 5 of draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis.

Okay, I'll take a look.  BTW This section follows the same recipe as
I've used in a number of RSVP/MPLS/GMPLS related RFCs and haven't had
an issue yet.

> > Minor nits:
> >
> > - Section 2: "0-bit" (zero) probably should be "O-bit" (upper case O)?

good catch.

>- Section 6.1: How will the RFC editor know what to replace
> > "TBA" with?

The first sentence provides this guidance:
    LSP Segment Recovery Flags are carried in the Protection object of
    the same C-Type defined in [E2E-RECOVERY].

I all add some words on this to the IANA section.

done.

done.

> >   references should be updated.

okay.

> > - Idnits complains about long lines.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Pasi

I'll unicast you a preview of the updated rev to see it you have any
comments prior to publication.

Much thanks again for the comments,
Lou