[Gen-art] Gen-art review of draft-gont-intarea-obsolete-eid-option-01

"Moriarty, Kathleen" <kathleen.moriarty@emc.com> Thu, 25 October 2012 20:36 UTC

From: "Moriarty, Kathleen" <kathleen.moriarty@emc.com>
To: "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>, "draft-gont-intarea-obsolete-eid-option.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-gont-intarea-obsolete-eid-option.all@tools.ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:36:01 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "fgont@si6networks.com" <fgont@si6networks.com>
Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-art review of draft-gont-intarea-obsolete-eid-option-01

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
< http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document:  draft-gont-intarea-obsolete-eid-option-01
Reviewer: Kathleen Moriarty
Review Date: 10/25/12
IETF LC End Date: 11/1/12
IESG Telechat date: (if known)

This document formally deprecates the IPv6 Endpoint Identification (EID) option (hex value 0x8a).

Major issues:

Minor issues:
RFC2119 is referenced, but not used.  I don't see the use of any RFC2119 language in the document, so it may be safe to remove this reference.

I don't think the reference for EID option is valid.  I also looked at the reference in the IANA page and that no longer contains a link.  From a google search, it looks like this was an internet draft that was never published as an RFC and expired, http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/nimrod/eidoption.txt
Listing it as "A work in progress" when it is an expired draft s not appropriate.

Nits/editorial comments:

I recommend changing the following portion of the abstract to state what is accomplished in this draft as the language is a little confusing:
"possibly serving as a basis for providing advice"
Since this draft doesn't actually provide the advice, just says it may provide a basis for providing the advice, I would recommend leaving this out of the abstract.

Recommend removing "e.g." fromt he last sentence int he Security Considerations section as it is not needed.
Change from:
"However, formally deprecating this option
   may serve as a basis for e.g. providing advice about filtering
   packets containing such option (in a similar way to
   [I-D.ietf-opsec-ip-options-filtering] for the IPv4 case)."
TO:
"However, formally deprecating this option
   may serve as a basis for providing advice about filtering
   packets containing such option (in a similar way to
   [I-D.ietf-opsec-ip-options-filtering] for the IPv4 case)."

Thank you,
Kathleen