[Gen-art] Gen-ART review of lemonade drafts in IESG review

Lakshminath Dondeti <ldondeti@qualcomm.com> Thu, 01 September 2005 08:58 UTC

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:57:42 -0700
To: gen-art@ietf.org
From: Lakshminath Dondeti <ldondeti@qualcomm.com>
Cc: hardie@qualcomm.com, presnick@qualcomm.com, chris.newman@sun.com, MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU
Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of lemonade drafts in IESG review
Sender: gen-art-bounces@ietf.org

Drafts under review:

Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) CATENATE Extension (Proposed
Standard) - 2 of 10
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-catenate-05.txt>draft-ietf-lemonade-catenate-05.txt

Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) - URLAUTH Extension (Proposed Standard)
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-07.txt>draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-07.txt

Message Submission BURL Extension (Proposed Standard)
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-burl-02.txt>draft-ietf-lemonade-burl-02.txt

Background for those who may be unaware of GenART:

GenART is the Area Review Team for the General Area of the IETF.
We advise the General Area Director (i.e., the IETF/IESG chair) by
providing more in depth reviews than he could do himself of documents
that come up for final decision in IESG telechat.  I was selected as the
GenART member to review this document.  Below is my review, which was
written specifically with an eye to the GenART process, but since I
believe that it will be useful to have these comments more widely
distributed, others outside the GenART group are included.

already, and I have some questions/comments myself.

BURL
-------

No additional issues other than those on the tracker already.

What does BURL stand for?

There are some typos toward the end of the security considerations
section.  Please run a spell check.  Also, the RFC ed process will take
care of it too.

Lemonda-Catenate:
------------------------

Note: The author of this draft, Pete Resnick and I are colleagues, however
I was not aware of this work until I read the draft for the first time to
review it for Gen-ART.

*) I would like to see more in the security considerations section.  I
understand that the draft says the proposal does not introduce any
threats.  However, this is in contradiction to the BURL draft's sec
considerations section.  I think that the first part of that section might
be appropriate in this draft as well.

*) The draft says "Responses behave just as the original APPEND command
described in IMAP [1]."
But the examples are somewhat inconsistent (may be I am being too picky):
In Example 1:
S: A003 OK catenate append completed

In Example 3:
A003 OK append Completed

In Example 4:
... CATENATE append has failed, one message expunged

Should they all use the keyword APPEND?  Is the keyword CATENATE allowed in

URLauth
-----------

* I am uncomfortable with the word Authorization and the mechanisms for it
in this draft.  However, it is late in the process to have a philosophical
discussion.  Since this is a WG consensus, I can live with it.

   To explain: The first sentence notes that RFC 2192 requires authorization

My reading of that RFC is that it is talking about authenticating a user
and then verifying whether the user is authorized to
read/read-write.  Authorization comes from local policy and enforced after
authenticating the user.

Section 1.4 concerns me.  First, I am not sure I understand the use of
HMAC-SHA-1 as an authorization mechanism.  More importantly, the draft only
recommends something such as that algorithm and notes that there is no way
to change the algorithm without severe consequences.  While HMAC is holding
up, there are concerns about SHA-1 already; I am not sure about advancing
protocol specs in which algorithms cannot be updated.

best regards,
Lakshminath