Review timing [ [Gen-art] Re: review of draft-simon-emu-rfc2716bis-12.txt]

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> Thu, 10 January 2008 21:26 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:organization:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=+XrNUjgeA4hjdzNnZd6SRU/g8l9Eb9REHDl72U8Aygo=; b=aM8v/qG7y6qZWjQp4R7y3WCLIl7TJsWQ4Gvxn8tXAkq3ArAKGeOkp5cQEBJfhV6XNi0IR8TnpAvfWr7j7axyKBotYFxwk0EYhKyCO8PxNezynDKSaOwRCRxJXmtB3swsvPPu/xnNNoWk2lDwiNGxymnpIGCROD8TClsTc+JoDLU=
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:26:07 +1300
From: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Subject: Review timing [ [Gen-art] Re: review of draft-simon-emu-rfc2716bis-12.txt]
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org

Bernard,

On 2008-01-11 09:58, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> BTW, I'd note that there were some issues in the scheduling of this
> GEN-ART review, given that the document was to have been considered
> on the IESG agenda today.   As a result, Sam objected to my addressing your
> comments (even though the changes were purely editorial) and will delay
> the processing of the document (see below).  So perhaps the GEN-ART
> reviews need to come in sooner (or the IESG needs to be informed when
> they are going to come in so they are not suprised).

Having seen this from both sides of the fence, I think it's very hard
to avoid occasional glitches of this nature. I can never say when
my review will be done - and I send it in immediately that it is done.
We try to get them to Russ ASAP, but in practice we have only 2 or 3
working days between the review assignments and when Russ needs
them. Sometimes, they come in late, but it's unpredictable.

Our standard review boilerplate says:

"Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
 or AD before posting a new version of the draft."

In practice, that means: don't update the draft until after
the IESG telechat, so that all IESG comments can be handled
simultaneously. Remember that Gen-ART is reviewing on behalf
of the General AD - if Russ decides that the reviewer's
comments are unimportant, he'll ballot No Objection.

   Brian