Re: [Gen-art] IETF LC review: draft-funk-eap-ttls-v0-04.txt

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Fri, 21 March 2008 23:29 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:26:51 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
Cc: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, gen-art@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] IETF LC review: draft-funk-eap-ttls-v0-04.txt
Sender: gen-art-bounces@ietf.org

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

you may receive.

Document: EAP Tunneled TLS Authentication Protocol Version 0
Reviewer: Joel M. Halpern
Review Date:  21-March-2008
IETF LC End Date: 2-April-2008
IESG Telechat date: N/A

  If a revision is to be done, it would make sense to consider the first
two comments below, and see if the minor comments can be usefully addressed.

Comments:
	There are two sets of AVPs defined by this document.  One set goes in
the EAP-TTLS Start packet from the server to the client.  The other set
are used in the inner TLS protected exchange.  The first set are
referenced in section 9.2.  But as far as I can tell, there is no
description of what valid AVPs may appear here.  Even if they are the
same AVPs as go inside, some text explaining this in section 9.2 would
be helpful.
	Section 7.2 talks about the application utilizing EAP-TTLS specifying
the information to be exchanged.  It is not clear to me what is meant by
"application" here.  Does this mean the different authentication
mechanisms that the client can select?  Or something else?  (If
something else, how is it known.)  A bit of explanatory text would
probably help.

Minor:
     The text in section 7.8 talks about the different versions of TLS
that can be used.  It would be useful (assuming I have correctly
understood the protocol) if the text noted that these versions are
negotiated by TLS, as part of carrying TLS over TTLS.
     Section 11.3 on multiple authentication methods could use a couple
of extra words at the front.  Something like "When the client has
selected EAP for authentication, the AAA/H server may request multiple
forms of Authentication."  Otherwise, the reader tries to tie this to
the entirety of 11.2 (client specified authentication) and may get very
confused before finding at the end of the section the note that this
only applies to EAP.  (Leave the note.  Just add text at the beginning.)

I presume I will find out how the communicating parties agree on what
"application" is utilizing EAP-TTLS some time after section 7.2?