[Gen-art] RE: Gen-Art Review: draft-ietf-msec-newtype-keyid-01.txt

"Karl Norrman (KI/EAB)" <karl.norrman@ericsson.com> Fri, 27 January 2006 17:37 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:17:38 +0100
From: "Karl Norrman (KI/EAB)" <karl.norrman@ericsson.com>
To: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com>, gen-art@alvestrand.no
Cc: Russ Housely <housley@vigilsec.com>, "Vesa Lehtovirta (JO/LMF)" <vesa.lehtovirta@ericsson.com>
Subject: [Gen-art] RE: Gen-Art Review: draft-ietf-msec-newtype-keyid-01.txt
Sender: gen-art-bounces@ietf.org

Hello!

Thank you very much for your review.
Please see the attached updated draft and inline.

[SNIP]

> withdrawn, but FWIW, here is my review.] This document has
> some minor issues with the IANA considerations and needs some
> editorial tidying up.
>
> The 'empty map' option worries me, but I am not sufficiently
> much of security expert to determine if this is justified.
> If this is cleared the draft could go forward (but it sounds
> like there will be another revision pass to go through).
>
> Detailed Review:
>
> Issues:
> I am not sure that I fully understand what is going on the
> justification of the need for an empty map(last para of s2).
> '... required parameters are signalled in-band.' => in what protocol?
> I think a slightly less opaque explanation would help here.

An example is now given (the OMA DRM Content Format used for download).

> Associated with this there should be an explicit statement in
> s4 that no equivalent of SRTP_ID would be needed in this case.

Such a statement is now added (Please note that there is a new Section
3, so
this text is now in Section 5).

> IANA considerations:
> This section should refer to the IANA process setup in
> RFC3380 for the payload type and the CS ID map type.
> It needs to define a new process for the Key ID Type registry.

A process is now set up in the IANA considerations section.

> Security Considerations:
> Are those that understand these things absolutely convinced
> that creating keys without attaching them to an SA in the
> process does not create some sort of opportunity to create mayhem?

The security considerations section is now expanded.

> Editorial Nits
>
> You should run idnits: there are non ascii characters in the
> document, e.g. bullet point marks in s2.

This version passed idnits.

Thanks and regards,
Karl