Re: [Gen-art] Fwd: Russ Housley's Discuss on draft-ietf-storm-mpa-peer-connect-07:(with DISCUSS)

<david.black@emc.com> Wed, 28 December 2011 15:45 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: elwynd@dial.pipex.com, housley@vigilsec.com
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:44:33 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: draft-ietf-storm-mpa-peer-connect.all@tools.ietf.org, gen-art@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Fwd: Russ Housley's Discuss on draft-ietf-storm-mpa-peer-connect-07:(with DISCUSS)

Hi Elwyn,

Thanks for following up on this.  Regarding ordering of private data:

> However, I think that the
> note added to the end of Section 10 regarding the addition of further
> 'not-so-private' data perhaps needs another sentence about ordering, as
> per my and David's comments.

The text at the end of Section 10 is about possible future protocol enhancements -
e.g., if one or more of the Res (currently reserved) bits in the MPA header are
used to define future standard elements that are carried in the MPA "Private Data"
field (as was done in this draft for enhanced connection establishment data.  I
would prefer to defer any specification of ordering of future data additions to
the document that defines those additions.

For the current mpa-peer-connect draft, I believe the private data ordering
requirements are covered and clear - the enhanced RDMA connection establishment
data MUST come first.  Section 6 covers the MPA/TCP case;

   Private Data:  Unchanged from [RFC5044].  However, if the 'S' flag is
      set, Private Data MUST begin with enhanced RDMA connection
      establishment data (see Section 9).

The 'S' flag is the presence/absence flag for enhanced RDMA connection
establishment data, If the 'S' flag is clear, there's no enhanced RDMA
connection establishment data, and hence no ordering concern.

Section 7 covers the SCTP case (end of this paragraph):

   The Enhanced DDP stream session establishment follows the same rules
   as the standard DDP stream session establishment as defined in
   [RFC5043].  ULP-supplied Private Data MUST be included for Enhanced
   DDP Stream Session Initiate, Enhanced DDP Stream Session Accept, and
   Enhanced DDP Stream Session Reject messages, and MUST follow the
   enhanced RDMA connection establishment data in the DDP Stream Session
   Initiate and the Enhanced DDP Stream Session Accept messages.

Aside from enhanced RDMA connection establishment data, the only other data
that can be carried as Private Data is "ULP-supplied Private Data".

Thanks,
--David