[Gen-art] Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-nodearch-key-03

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Fri, 08 December 2006 06:38 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 07:38:42 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Black_David@emc.com
Cc: lars.eggert@netlab.nec.de, gen-art@ietf.org, wysochanski@pobox.com
Subject: [Gen-art] Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-nodearch-key-03

Black_David@emc.com wrote:
> Harald,
>
> Many thanks for reviewing this draft.
>

>> This document does 2 things:
>>
>> - Register an extension to pass implementation identities around
>> - Change the registration requirement for extensions to allow
>> Experimental extensions to be registered
>>

> It also instructs IANA to correct some registry problems.

Yes, I saw that - and thought that this was a strange way of sending bug
reports to IANA - but since the text said that this was to be removed
before publication, I didn't comment on it.

>> 1) I read RFC 3720 section 13.5.2 as saying that publication
>> of extensions as standards-track is allowed, even though the
>> wording is quite convoluted. So the implication of the
>> language in section 5 that it was previously restricted to
>> informational only seems unwarranted.
>>

> The WG and the editor of the draft that became RFC 3270 do not
> share your view of the convoluted wording, and regard this draft
> as making a change to the process requirements in RFC 3270.
> At a minimum, this draft unambiguously states what is allowed.

Lars pointed out that I'd actually missed one section of 3720. That
section was clearer in what it was not saying - section 13.5.2 actually
mentions standards track, but 12.22 doesn't. So a fix that points at
both sections would be a Good Thing.

>> 2) It would be good if section 5 of this draft pointed
>> specifically at section 13.5.2 of RFC 3720 as the section to
>> be updated, and provided specific language to be read as
>> "this section is now replaced by". I *think* the text only
>> means that the words "as an informational RFC" are changed to
>> "as an informational or experimental RFC, as appropriate",
>> but it would be nice to be 100% certain that this is the
>> intended effect, and that no other section of RFC 3720 needs
>> changing (my scan of 3720 might have overlooked something).
>>

> I believe your thinking is correct, and I will supply the Area
> Director (Lars) with an appropriate RFC Editor Note.

Excellent!