[Gen-art] Gen-ART review for draft-ietf-ippm-checksum-trailer-03

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Thu, 22 October 2015 15:54 UTC

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 15:54:34 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.64.58.48]
Cc: "draft-ietf-ippm-checksum-trailer.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ippm-checksum-trailer.all@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review for draft-ietf-ippm-checksum-trailer-03

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just like any other last call comments.

< http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-ippm-checksum-trailer-03

Reviewer: Dan Romascanu

Review Date: 10/22/15

IETF LC End Date: N/A

IESG Telechat date: N/A

This document is ready for publication. I have a couple of minor issues that need clarification and can be solved easily by minor editing.

Major issues:

Minor issues:

1.       It is not clear to me how backwards compatibility is ensured. How do implementations make distinction between OWAMP or TWAMP packets that use timestamp update and Checksum Complement rather than timestamp update and UDP checksum update? Is a mix of senders/receivers (for OWAMP) or senders/reflectors (for TWAMP) that some support and some do not support Checksum Complement possible?

2.       The last paragraph in section 4 reads: 'The concept described in this document is intended to be used only in unauthenticated or in authenticated mode.' This seems either a mistake, or I did not understand what it means and some clarification is needed.

Nits/editorial comments: