Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Review for draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Thu, 28 May 2015 07:03 UTC

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <peter@andyet.net>, General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 07:03:03 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.64.58.48]
Cc: "draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis.all@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Review for draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis

Hi,

What is missing in my opinion are more details for the operators about what tests can be made in order to avoid compatibility and migration problems. The text in  draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis-22 says:

> Because it is
   possible that previously-valid JIDs might no longer be valid (or
   previously-invalid JIDs might now be valid), operators of XMPP
   services are advised to perform careful testing before migrating
   accounts and other data.

What does this 'careful testing' include so that operators avoid problems for the XMPP and XMPP applications users?  Can we be more precise? Section 6.1 in draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis (which needs to be referred here) seems to provide indications for application developers to avoid incompatibilities - this is fine. What needs an operator with an installed base of 'legacy' 6122  do and test?

Thanks and Regards,

Dan