Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat Call review of draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-mldp-nlri-07

Martin Vigoureux <martin.vigoureux@alcatel-lucent.com> Tue, 25 November 2014 16:38 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:37:50 +0100
From: Martin Vigoureux <martin.vigoureux@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@ericsson.com>, Meral Shirazipour <meral.shirazipour@ericsson.com>, erosen@juniper.net
Cc: "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-mldp-nlri.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-mldp-nlri.all@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat Call review of draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-mldp-nlri-07

Jari, Meral,

Eric had changed of email address.
I have forwarded him the review when it came out.
He took note but said he would submit the updated draft few weeks after
due to the pre-IETF submission cut-off.
I guess it should come out soon.

However, I am not sure about the change, but I'll let Eric comment on
this also.

The draft defines ranges:
0x01-0x3f: Generic/PIM Range
0x41-0x7f: mLDP Range
0x80-0xff: reserved

The fact that 0x41 and 0x42 are reserved is not a reason to shrink the
range. The assigned code points are such that the low order six bits are
the same in the two ranges so for consistency reason it make sense to
have ranges of equal length. In fact the draft says:
    In general, whenever an assignment is requested from this registry,
    two codepoints should be requested at the same time: one from the
    Generic/PIM range and one from the mLDP range.  The two codepoints
    should have the same low-order 5 bits.  If one of the two codepoints
    is not actually needed, it should be registered anyway, and marked as
    "reserved".
And the draft for example assigns 0x01 to Intra-AS I-PMSI A-D route. So,
0x41 is also assigned to "Reserved" and so should be part of the mLDP Range.

By the way, Eric, I have spotted two typos.
You say
    In general, whenever an assignment is requested from this registry,
    two codepoints should be requested at the same time: one from the
    Generic/PIM range and one from the mLDP range.  The two codepoints
    should have the same low-order 5 bits.  If one of the two codepoints
    is not actually needed, it should be registered anyway, and marked as
    "reserved".
And
    IANA has been requested to allocate codepoints for these
    three route types such that (a) the high order two bits have the
    value 0x01, and (b) the low order bit six bits have the same value as
    the codepoints for the corresponding route types from [MVPN-BGP].

First paragraph talks about same low-order 5 bits while the latter one
about 6 bits, and on top of that there is and extra "bit" in the sentence.

-m