[Gen-art] RE: Gen-ART review of draft-jones-avt-audio-t38-05

"Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com> Thu, 05 January 2006 04:39 UTC

From: "Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com>
To: 'Spencer Dawkins' <spencer@mcsr-labs.org>, 'General Area Review Team' <gen-art@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:10:54 -0500
Cc: 'Magnus Westerlund' <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, 'Hiroshi Tamura' <tamura@cs.ricoh.co.jp>, 'Colin Perkins' <csp@csperkins.org>, mankin@psg.com
Subject: [Gen-art] RE: Gen-ART review of draft-jones-avt-audio-t38-05
Sender: gen-art-bounces@ietf.org

David,

> as
> Historic, I'm not sure what criteria I should be using for the review, but
> I'll assume the bar is lower for Historic than for the original Proposed
> Standard.

"Historic" is a regrettable decision, in my opinion.  But, what can I say?

> Given that it's now two years later than the requested ITU-T date for an
> RFC
> number, and the reason for publication as Historical is so we can
> explicitly
> deprecate the use of audio media types for image payloads, I'd suggest
> NO-OBJ.

The ITU published the latest version of T.38 in 2004 and simply did not
include the reference to this document.  In fact, since this document exists
merely to complete the picture by registering a MIME type, the delayed
publication has not been a major issue.  (However, such delays have resulted
in some MIME types being standardized which are not and will not be
registered with IANA.  What's the point? ;-) )

> At least some of Ned Freed's notes still seem to apply (for example -
> using
> RFC 3362 as a pointer for UDPTL when RFC 3362 doesn't mention UDPTL),

The intent was not to reference UDPTL by way of 3362.  UDPTL is defined in
T.38, so perhaps to address this concern we should add [1] after UDPTL?

> and
> the "does not parse" text Steve Bellovin flagged hasn't changed.

What does not parse?

> Of course, no surprise that the boilerplate is outdated (since the draft
> is
> older than RFC 3978)...

Yes... what year is it now? ;-)  Actually, I don't even recall what the
boilerplate is supposed to look like versus what this one has.  In any case,
I'll be happy to change it as necessary.  Is there a document containing the
proper template that I can use as a reference?

> >From Nits checking:
>
> idnits 1.84
>
>   Checking nits according to http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html:
>
>     Checking conformance with RFC 3978/3979 boilerplate...
>
>   * The document seems to lack an RFC 3978 Section 5.1 IPR Disclosure
>     Acknowledgement -- however, there's a paragraph with a matching
> beginning.
>     Boilerplate error?

If I recall, this text was proposed for use before the guidelines were laid
down in an RFC.  Even so, folks new the rules were changing and this was a
"best guess" at the format.

>   * The document seems to lack an RFC 3978 Section 5.4 Copyright Line --
>     however, there's a paragraph with a matching beginning. Boilerplate
> error?

Same issue, I think.

>   Checking nits according to http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt:
>   - It seems as if not all pages are separated by form feeds - found 0
> form
>     feeds but 8 pages

Not sure why.  My copy actually does have FF characters between pages.  In
any case, this can be addressed by me sending another copy or by submitting
a new draft with an updated boilerplate.

Let me know how we should proceed.

Paul