Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Thu, 10 September 2015 10:16 UTC

To: Ronald Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>, Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>, "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>
From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:15:52 +0200
Cc: "draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications.all@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications

Hi Ron,

sorry I'm slightly confused now... see below.

On 09.09.2015 22:49, Ronald Bonica wrote:
> Suresh,
>
> You are absolutely right. We have two possible solutions, an HBH Option and a Destination Option.  Both solutions severely limit CONEX deployability.
>
> Since my comment is more about draft-ietf-conex-destopt than it is about draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications, I think that we can let draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications go forward, as is.
>
> Before draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications comes up for last call, we might want to augment Section 5, explaining why both solutions limit severely limit CONEX deployability. Since all of the CONEX documents are EXPERIMENTAL, that caveat shouldn't be an impediment to publication.

Just as a side note last call for both docs is already over, but that's no problem.

I'm not sure where and in which document you want to change something now. From
my point of view draft-ietf-conex-tcp-modifications does not have to give a
justification because it's simply using what's defined in
draft-ietf-conex-destopt. And draft-ietf-conex-destopt does give some reasoning
why this choice was taken.

Btw. draft-ietf-conex-destopt is basiaclly already finished for quite some time,
we just waited to submit it until the other docs are ready in case we detect
something that would require a change in draft-ietf-conex-destopt.

Please tell me again what you'd propose to change where!

Thanks,
Mirja

> We will need to address the problem before the CONEX documents become PROPOSED STANDARD. But we can cross that bridge when we get to it.
>
>                                                                                        Ron

Dipl.-Ing. Mirja Kühlewind
Communication Systems Group
Institute TIK, ETH Zürich
Gloriastrasse 35, 8092 Zürich, Switzerland

Room ETZ G93
phone: +41 44 63 26932
email: mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch