Re: [Gen-art] GenART LC review of draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3462bis-01

"Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk@cloudmark.com> Mon, 03 October 2011 06:21 UTC

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk@cloudmark.com>
To: Roni Even <ron.even.tlv@gmail.com>, "draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3462bis.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3462bis.all@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 23:24:32 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>, 'IETF-Discussion list' <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] GenART LC review of draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3462bis-01

The main implementations of multipart/report that I know of so far are ARF (RFC5965), DSN (RFC3464) and MDN (RFC3798).  In the latter two cases, they repeat the requirement that, at time of generation, a DSN/MDN has to have multipart/report as the outermost MIME type, which is why it's safe to remove the restriction here.  ARF specifically doesn't want the restriction, which was the impetus for this change; ARF wants to be able to send a message that is multipart/mixed containing many multipart/reports.
According to discussion within the working group, experience suggests most implementations of RFC3462 have disregarded the restriction anyway, specifically to allow DSNs and MDNs to be forwarded around (inside message/* MIME parts).  There has not been any report of interoperability problems as a result.  This factored into the working group's consensus.
-MSK