Re: [Geopriv] A new draft on Bayesian Location Identifiers

todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net> Fri, 22 October 2010 15:37 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 08:38:48 -0700
From: todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: geopriv@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] A new draft on Bayesian Location Identifiers

On 10/21/2010 11:04 PM, Christian Hoene wrote:
> Great Martin,
>
> thank you very much for your fast and detailed comments! We will
> consider and address them in an updated version. Let's meet in
> Beijing to discuss how to progress.
>
> See you then
>
> Christian

> Dr.-Ing. Christian Hoene Interactive Communication Systems (ICS),
> University of Tübingen Sand 13, 72076 Tübingen, Germany, Phone +49
> 7071 2970532 http://www.net.uni-tuebingen.de/
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Thomson, Martin
> [mailto:Martin.Thomson@andrew.com] Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010
> 7:13 AM To: Christian Hoene; geopriv@ietf.org Cc:
> behlec@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de;
> krebs@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de;
> mark.schmidt@wsii.uni-tuebingen.de Subject: RE: [Geopriv] A new draft
> on Bayesian Location Identifiers
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> This is certainly interesting work.
>
> My biggest concern is that this is not necessarily the right forum
> for this sort of work.  I find that to be a little disappointing, but
> you might find that there is insufficient expertise to deal with this
> here.
>
> ==Commentary
>
> My primary concern regards how a recipient of this data might use it.

That is NOT something that the IETF should be concerned with. The
purpose of the IETF is to create technical interoperability standards
for technologies and NOT to control what is and is not routed on the
Internet lest it become a formal lobby and no longer retains its
immunity as a Standards Org.

> I can certainly see how being able to essentially transfer the state
> of a filter between entities might be useful where each performs
> location determination.  I struggle a little more in how I might
> imagine a typical location-based application using the data.
>
> Providing motivation, use cases, or examples would help greatly.

The issue of how evidence of location is created is key here and the
Bayseian model is a powerful.

> The state of a Kalman filter is relatively easily converted into an
> ellipsoid shape.  Sure, the process is lossy, but it becomes more
> readily understood.  The challenge for you is to motivate the
> inclusion of the covariance matrix.

Agreed.

> In some respects the particle filter is (to me) the most likely to be
> useful to a generic application.  In describing a field of relative
> probabilities you are able to convey a much richer representation of
> location.

For what use models is the question though. What specifically are you
trying to accomplish and what are the constraints with a solution that
meets those needs. For instance there was a new ruling in the California
Courts about evidence being "trustworthy" and how that applies to these
types of controls is that in order that their output be court admissible
and as such useful, they will also need to be trustworthy. And that in
this instance is a legal term and not a technical one which will
probably snow half of this list and piss the other half off, but that's
the way of it in today's world.

>  This is not necessarily the product of a particle filter
> as assumed in the draft; other location determination methods are
> able to produce probability distributions that do not readily fit a
> neat distribution.
>
> If we were to look solely at filter usage alone, I've found that
> Kalman filters are still far more commonplace.  The additional
> processing required for particle filters is prohibitive, particularly
> for mobile devices that have power consumption constraints.  The
> additional flexibility provided by the particle filter simply isn't
> necessary either, since it is easy to assume linear progress when
> time increments are quite small - as they often are.

Depending on how the filter is implemented and how much of it is in HW.
For instance a nVidia GPU based filter will rip relative to one running
on a P4 Quad Core or like device.

> I'll admit to not being familiar with Gaussian sum particle filters.
> Since the state here is very similar to the Kalman filters with the
> only difference being the number of mean+covariance tuples, it might
> be sensible to try to unify the representation of these.
>
> ==Coordinate Systems and Datums
>
> This part of the draft seems a little out of place.  We've already
> done a lot of work restricting the coordinate systems (and coordinate
> reference systems) that are permitted in PIDF-LO.

This by the way is a tremendous mistake. The technology of location
based services is about to take another step forward with new technology
not available before and that also is something this standard needs to
take into account. That the technology underneath the operating model is
continuing to evolve.