Re: [Geopriv] "A Uniform Resource Identifier for Geographic Locations ('geo' URI)"

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Sun, 25 February 2007 12:59 UTC

Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:59:10 +0100
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Alexander Mayrhofer <alexander.mayrhofer@enum.at>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] "A Uniform Resource Identifier for Geographic Locations ('geo' URI)"
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>, Christian Spanring <cspanring@gmail.com>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>

Hi Alex,

in an abstract sense you either carry location information within a
protocol or you annotate some data items with it.
The encoding is another story that I leave aside.

Now, when you carry location information between different end points
you need to indicate what the semantics are. As an example might want to
take a look at the SIP Location Conveyance draft, available at
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-sip-location-conveyance-07.txt

It, for example, describes
* what happens if the receiver expects location information but does not
get it
* what happens if the receiver receives location information it does not
understand (but is supposed to)
* what the privacy and security implications are
* to which entity the location information refers
* who is supposed to process what and when

If you add location information to a data model then you need to worry
about things like
* in which context is the data model used
* privacy implications
* protocols that shuffle around with the instance documents ('using
protocols')

Examples can be found with
http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/all-ids/draft-daviel-html-geo-tag-05.txt and
RFC 4119

Your document currently focuses on the encoding but omits the rest.

Ciao
Hannes