Re: [Geopriv] LIS Discovery

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Tue, 10 June 2008 05:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 00:41:49 -0500
From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com>
Cc: GEOPRIV WG <geopriv@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] LIS Discovery
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

Thanks Richard, I had forgotten about those.  The thread died a
premature death.

I did respond before, but let's try to get some sort of conclusion.

2.  I think a simple applicability statement would suit:
 "The URI result from the discovery process is suitable for location
configuration only; that is, dereferencing the URI provided by this
option provides the location of the requester only.  LIS discovery does
not produce a location URI."

3. The reverse DNS case exists only for those cases where option 15
doesn't work - if you can set option 15, then you can set option XX (LIS
URI).  Some have even pointed out that if you can set option XX (LIS
URI), RFC 3825/4776 are also possible.

We decided to do this to accommodate all end devices, and relying on
DHCP alone doesn't work.  See Figure 1 in l7-lcp-ps if you need a use
case.

Guidelines on what an access network provider needs to provide is
reasonable.  I don't see the problem with keeping "discovery" though;
the label is more helpful than it is inaccurate.

MT

this email is prohibited.