Re: [Geopriv] LIS Discovery

Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com> Tue, 10 June 2008 04:12 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 00:12:45 -0400
From: Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com>
To: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
Cc: GEOPRIV WG <geopriv@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] LIS Discovery
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

Martin,

I'll bring back two issues I had raised before (I'll even keep the
numbers!):

2. We need to make sure that there's not a conflict between the DHCP
option in this document and draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-lbyr-uri-option.
The risk here is that since HELD is being proposed as a deref protocol,
you end up with two non-interoperable ways to distribute a HELD LbyR.
What I would propose is an applicability statement for the URI saying
that it should be dereferenced using the "LCP version" of HELD, as in
draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery, not the "deref version" of HELD.

3. I think that the reverse DNS technique in Section 4.2 be removed in
favor of a set of implementation guidelines that says essentially "IF
you want discovery to work, you MUST provide DHCP option 15 and you MUST
put out U-NAPTR records for every domain so distributed."  This is
appropriate because this document is about actions taken by BOTH the
endpoint and access network ("discovery" is a misnomer, since the access
network has to participate, either via DHCP or U-NAPTR).

For reference, previous message was:
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/geopriv/current/msg05577.html>

--Richard