Re: [Geopriv] loc-filters additional requirements

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Tue, 14 July 2009 23:35 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 18:34:50 -0500
From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, geopriv@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] loc-filters additional requirements

If I get you right, you want to be able to just use the information that is directly expressed in the PIDF to do everything.  Then you don't need a loc-filters document.  What you need is a much (much) smarter implementation of RFC 4661 - a specification that is already difficult to implement.

I know how to force inclusion of geodetic in the fashion you suggest, but it's cumbersome, indirect and brittle:

 <what>
   <include type="xpath">
     //gp:location-info/*[@srsName="urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::4326" or @srsName="urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::4979"]
   </include>
 </what>

How a PA is expected to see this and infer that it needs to perform geocoding, is probably beyond the ken of many.  The PA could just recognize the string and infer from that, but that's massively brittle.

I sat down and figured out how something like this might be implemented by a generic(-ish) PA.  You need to know that only GML geometries have an srsName attribute (which is actually not true: srsName cannot be namespace qualified, so this relies on an assumption).  Then the solution requires that the PA have further specialized knowledge.  Once you get to that sort of complexity, it's not that hard to just do something simple:

   <what><lf:locationType>geodetic</lf:locationType></what>

At some point, you need to know about the content in order to do the geocoding.  Why overcomplicate matters trying to avoid putting this knowledge in the filter?

Someone once submitted a centroid draft.  Derived properties in the PIDF could lead to some confusion.  Again, the same argument applies.

Quality filters need proper feedback to be properly useful [1].  Even with the proposed filters, this is necessary.  It's very easy to implement filters that don't actually achieve the intended goal.

--Martin

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thomson-simple-cont-presence-val-req