Re: [Geopriv] retransmission-allowed is harmful

"Hannes Tschofenig" <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Fri, 13 March 2009 18:21 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: "'Thomson, Martin'" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>, 'GEOPRIV' <geopriv@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 20:22:48 +0200
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] retransmission-allowed is harmful

Two points:

A) I guess nobody really thought sufficiently deep enough about conveying
the policies in the style of http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4745.txt /
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-policy-20.txt
together with location information. I suspect that folks say it more as a
vehicle for access control and hence it wouldn't travel around.

B) In a location URI there is no policy that travels with it (as it is
currently defined). One could, of course, define a URI in the style of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4467 and attach meta data. We discussed this
several times already but, as far as I remember, never made a decision. It
wouldn't really change anything with the location URI concept as such but
the entity that looks at it would have a clue what the URI actually is. This
would then go into the
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-winterbottom-geopriv-held-context-03.txt
document.

Ciao