Re: [Geopriv] [Ecrit] draft-george-ecrit-lamp-post-00]

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Thu, 26 February 2009 01:06 UTC

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:50:58 -0600
From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: robinsg@huawei.com, Karl Heinz Wolf <khwolf1@gmail.com>
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] [Ecrit] draft-george-ecrit-lamp-post-00]

Moving to GEOPRIV...

Personal preference usually has little bearing on finding the correct solution.  If ADDCODE fits, then you should consider it.  Extensions to the civic address format need to provide information that cannot be provided by existing elements.

If you are aware that ADDCODE could be used in the same context as a lamp/pole number, then a new code might be appropriate.  ADDCODE was created for a purpose very similar to what you describe - a locally significant number.  Alternatively, if you believe that there are usability concerns arising from use of ADDCODE, then that might also be a basis for a new element.

As background, I've heard a range of suggestions for new elements, but each in turn has been amply accommodated by existing elements.  This approach has been taken in draft-ietf-geopriv-civic-address-recommendations - Austrian civic addresses contain far more discrete elements than the civic address format provides, but the local policy for mapping to the civic address form manages with the existing elements.

Regards,
Martin