Re: [Geopriv] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-george-geopriv-lamp-post-00.txt

"Carl Reed" <creed@opengeospatial.org> Sat, 03 July 2010 19:37 UTC

From: Carl Reed <creed@opengeospatial.org>
To: robinsg@huawei.com, geopriv@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 13:36:35 -0600
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-george-geopriv-lamp-post-00.txt

Robins -

I would suggest adding some clauses stating that MP shall be used in conjunction with RD or some other feature type that references a linear feature, such as a stream, road, or trail. A mile marker/post means nothing unless there is a reference feature. Also, there are often rules regarding from which "end" of the feature the marker is calculated from. Not sure if this information needs to also be encoded. Perhaps worth some discussion. Finally, the mile market issue was intensely discussed in the NENA Next Generation Data Working Group. This discussion was part of the larger addressing standards discussion. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the outcome :-( but we can find out.

Also, for those interested, there is an ISO standard for an abstract model for linear referencing (ISO 19148).

Regards

Carl Reed
CTO
OGC