RE: [Geopriv] Common Policy Update

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Tue, 04 April 2006 04:41 UTC

From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, geopriv@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 23:41:14 -0500
Subject: RE: [Geopriv] Common Policy Update

Inline,

The addition only needs to be:
>>                  <xs:any namespace="##other" processContents="lax"/>
Since the minOccurs and maxOccurs on the <xs:choice...> should suffice.

>                  </xs:choice>
>              </xs:restriction>
>          </xs:complexContent>
>      </xs:complexType>
>
>      ~snip~
>
> ------------
>
> This issue was discussed during the Geopriv working group session at the
> last IETF meeting.
>
> Additionally, I have added a new section about extensiblity with the
> following content:
>
> ------------
>
> 12.  Extensibility

It is good to see this section here, but I question whether it was needed, particularly at this point.  I suggested a one sentence clarification to Section 7.1 that covered this for identity only.

If this is retained, then I think that it needs to be a little clearer.  Each point should include notes on the impact of including an extension, which is different for each.

>     This document can be extended in the following ways:
>
>     o  Conditions: The XML schema allows new child elements of the
>        <conditions> element to be defined.

Unknown conditions cause a processor to always ignore the rule, since they MUST evaluate as if the condition was not matched.

>     o  Transformations: The XML schema allows new child elements of the
>        <transformations> element to be defined.

An unknown transformation also causes the rule to be skipped, since the processor cannot be sure which sections of the document are removed by the transformation.

>     o  Actions: The XML schema allows new child elements of the <actions>
>        element to be defined.

I'm not sure what the impact of an unknown action would be.  I can see arguments for either ignoring the action or and invalidating the rule; I suspect that the rule would be invalidated though.

>     o  Extensions to the Identity Element: The XML schema allows new
>        child elements of the <identity> element to be defined.

Extensions to identity are the only elements subject to an OR, and therefore they can be safely ignored without increasing permissions.

>     o  URI Schemes: New URI schemes can be defined for the 'id' attribute
>        according to [10].
>
>     Unknown extensions can be safely ignored without impacting the user's
>     privacy.  In order to allow a RM to learn which extensions are
>     supported by a PS the policy capability extensions might be useful
>     (see [11], [12] and [13]).

> Thanks to Henning, Allison, Ted, Andy and Martin for the identity
> discussions. Please let me know if you are happy with the update.
>
> Ciao
> Hannes

this email is prohibited.