Re: [Geopriv] [Ecrit] Location Determination Platforms in DSL wholesaleinCanada

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Mon, 10 August 2009 03:29 UTC

Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 22:28:58 -0500
From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: Francois Menard <fmenard@xittelecom.com>, Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] [Ecrit] Location Determination Platforms in DSL wholesaleinCanada

[Limiting this to geopriv since I'm only discussing location-related issues]

Francois,

I can see that you are concerned about the exchange between ISP and wholesale provider (infrastructure provider).

As you note the lis2lis drafts you refer to are long expired.  These documents are expired for two reasons: firstly, James and I have not had enough time to dedicate to this work; secondly, there have been changes in the way that ISP-infrastructure interaction is defined.

Historically, the view has been that the relationship between ISP and infrastructure is sensitive.  To that end, these documents were written to facilitate multiple modes of operation.  As written the measurements (and identity) draft assume that the holder of location information (in this case, the infrastructure provider) is only willing to provide that information in response to direct need.

No mechanism is provided to facilitate transfers of databases.  Because significant investment is made in creating and maintaining location databases, this was seen to provide the database owner the best protection for their investment - or at least to allow for that possibility.

Of course, the push model that you refer to is possible.  However, this doesn't need HELD extensions - the exchange doesn't map onto HELD - it's another protocol.

In the UK model, the exchange is how you seem to want it (infrastructure provider -> ISP).  However, this is performed when CPE registers and acquires an address.  Again, this isn't HELD.  I'm not up with the details, but I think that the necessary info is passed in either PPP or RADIUS, depending on the deployment details.

--Martin