Re: [GGIE] DRAFT bof proposal for IETF 98 in Chicago

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Thu, 09 February 2017 18:25 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood@comcast.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 12:24:44 -0600
Cc: "ggie@ietf.org" <ggie@ietf.org>, Leslie Daigle <ldaigle@thinkingcat.com>, "Deen, Glenn" <glenn.deen@nbcuni.com>
Subject: Re: [GGIE] DRAFT bof proposal for IETF 98 in Chicago

Hi Jason,

I recognize no one can be sure that the results of a working group will
be something they will implement. But at the same time, we don't want to
create a working group where we think it unlikely that the results will
get used somewhere. So maybe a better question would have been "Do you
think it likely that a wg on this subject would produce something you
would be interested in implementing or deploying." Or more importantly
"will you take the time to try to make that more likely".

I recognize there is working code. But for WG success, we need a
critical mass of people other than the proponents to work on it. And for
a work group forming BoF (which I assume is the goal here) to be
approved, we need to believe there's a reasonable chance of finding that
critical mass. There hasn't been much evidence of that prior to now. But
a couple of people have expressed interest since this thread started,
which is good. Hopefully more will comment in time for the IESG and IAB
to consider their input when making the BoF approval decision.

Thanks!

Ben.