Re: [GROW] Private IP in SP cores

"tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com> Thu, 04 March 2010 16:22 UTC

From: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
To: Jens Brey <jens@chaos-co.de>, grow@ietf.org, Tony Kirkham <tkirkham@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:47:12 +0100
Subject: Re: [GROW] Private IP in SP cores

Tony

Sorry that I am being cranky again.

The practice I am used to is seeing the announcement of an I-D (direct from the
ietfid list, or forwarded by the author to the WG list) and then retrieving the
document from one of the databases.  I haven't seen the announcement, nor can I
find the document in the usual places:-(

If you forwarded the document to the list, well, as you may recall, I am not a
fan of big e-mails (but I am a fan of WG chairs who moderate lists with a size
limit of 40kbyte:-) so anything over 40kbyte may well have been junked as spam
if I were busy. I have not seen the document yet but will read it when I do.

I am sorry you had difficulties with XML.  I would be happy to assist with that
if you need to know more.  Reading between the lines, I suspect that you may be
unfamiliar with the format rules for RFC and I-D, which require certain sections
and certain text.  Sadly, this information is widely scattered.

The RFC Editor, through whom everything ultimately passes, has their own web
site, with their own rules, containing variously Instructions to RFC Authors, or
Editorial Policies or RFC Document Style.  There is an out-of-date RFC, RFC2223,
attempts to update which stalled, although RFC5741 is a good read.

I-Ds are a bit more flexible and recently the IESG produced 'Guidelines to
Authors of Internet-Drafts', which is probably the best starting point.  The
document is called '1id-guidelines.txt' ( why not?) which is of course not on
the RFC Editor's web site because it is not a production of the RFC Editor.
Rather, it appears in the IESG web pages.

It may take a day to become familiar with this, but is worth it to get an RFC
published (well, I think so:-).

Xml2rfc; ah yes, the options available and which to choose appeared in an e-mail
to the IETF list some months ago, which I always manage to find when I need to.
This is a tool, and so not connected to the RFC Editor, the IESG or almost
anyone else.  I assume that you have found it on the right web page, something I
always struggle to do.  The trick then is to always use the 'T' version, never
the production version, since the latter will produce boiler plate that is
unacceptable to the submission tool.

Finally, there is a blackout on I-D in the run up to an IETF meeting, which we
are now in, which may be why I can find neither announcement nor document.

Tom Petch