Re: [GROW] Private IP in SP cores

Tony Kirkham <tkirkham@cisco.com> Thu, 04 March 2010 22:32 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 08:32:14 +1000
From: Tony Kirkham <tkirkham@cisco.com>
To: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
Cc: grow@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [GROW] Private IP in SP cores

Tom,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm just new to the group and unfamiliar
with the processes. I had only sent the doc to the GROW email alias, so
this is why you will probably not find it elsewhere. I will look over
the information you have provided below. But if you could point me
towards where I need to submit the draft, I would appreciate it.

Regards
Tony K

tom.petch wrote:
> Tony
>
> Sorry that I am being cranky again.
>
> The practice I am used to is seeing the announcement of an I-D (direct from the
> ietfid list, or forwarded by the author to the WG list) and then retrieving the
> document from one of the databases.  I haven't seen the announcement, nor can I
> find the document in the usual places:-(
>
> If you forwarded the document to the list, well, as you may recall, I am not a
> fan of big e-mails (but I am a fan of WG chairs who moderate lists with a size
> limit of 40kbyte:-) so anything over 40kbyte may well have been junked as spam
> if I were busy. I have not seen the document yet but will read it when I do.
>
> I am sorry you had difficulties with XML.  I would be happy to assist with that
> if you need to know more.  Reading between the lines, I suspect that you may be
> unfamiliar with the format rules for RFC and I-D, which require certain sections
> and certain text.  Sadly, this information is widely scattered.
>
> The RFC Editor, through whom everything ultimately passes, has their own web
> site, with their own rules, containing variously Instructions to RFC Authors, or
> Editorial Policies or RFC Document Style.  There is an out-of-date RFC, RFC2223,
> attempts to update which stalled, although RFC5741 is a good read.
>
> I-Ds are a bit more flexible and recently the IESG produced 'Guidelines to
> Authors of Internet-Drafts', which is probably the best starting point.  The
> document is called '1id-guidelines.txt' ( why not?) which is of course not on
> the RFC Editor's web site because it is not a production of the RFC Editor.
> Rather, it appears in the IESG web pages.
>
> It may take a day to become familiar with this, but is worth it to get an RFC
> published (well, I think so:-).
>
> Xml2rfc; ah yes, the options available and which to choose appeared in an e-mail
> to the IETF list some months ago, which I always manage to find when I need to.
> This is a tool, and so not connected to the RFC Editor, the IESG or almost
> anyone else.  I assume that you have found it on the right web page, something I
> always struggle to do.  The trick then is to always use the 'T' version, never
> the production version, since the latter will produce boiler plate that is
> unacceptable to the submission tool.
>
> Finally, there is a blackout on I-D in the run up to an IETF meeting, which we
> are now in, which may be why I can find neither announcement nor document.
>
> Tom Petch

*Anthony Kirkham*
*Solution Architect

***World Wide Security