[GROW] Wake up two sleeping VA drafts?//: Last Call comments on draft-ietf-l3vpn-virtual-hub

Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com> Thu, 08 November 2012 21:52 UTC

From: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>
To: "rbonica@juniper.net" <rbonica@juniper.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 21:52:47 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.141.106]
Cc: "grow@ietf.org" <grow@ietf.org>
Subject: [GROW] Wake up two sleeping VA drafts?//: Last Call comments on draft-ietf-l3vpn-virtual-hub

Hi Ronald,

If I remembered correctly, you have said, during the WG last call of three VA draft, that you may reconsider your attitudes towards the two of three VA drafts (draft-ietf-grow-va and draft-ietf-grow-va-auto) in case there were any interests from SPs on the FIB aggregation.

I occasionally noticed that draft-ietf-l3vpn-virtual-hub has just decribed a use case of FIB aggregation  and a possible FIB aggregation approach which seems much similar to the VA approach (see the following text quoted from that draft). You may have noticed that most of the co-authors of this draft are from SPs.

In addition, there are many concerns with the forwarding table scalability issues in the multi-tenant cloud data center network environments that have been expressed in several NVo3 related drafts.

Hence I wonder whether you could please reconsider your attitudes towards the two of three VA related drafts. Many thanks!

**************************
9. Further refinements
   In some cases a VPN customer may not want to rely solely on an (IP)
   default route being advertised from a V-spoke to a CE, but may want
   CEs to receive all the VPN routes (e.g., for the purpose of faster
   detection of VPN connectivity failures, and activating some backup
   connectivity).
   In this case one possible approach would be to install in the V-
   spoke's data plane only the default route (following the Virtual Hub
   and Spoke model, as described above), but keep all the VPN-IP routes
   in the V-spoke's control plane (and thus being able to advertise
   these routes from the V-spoke to the CEs).  Granted, this would not
   change control plane resource consumption, but would (significantly)
   reduce resource consumption on the data plane.

Best regards,
Xiaohu