Re: [GROW] draft-ietf-grow-diverse-bgp-path-dist: risk of inconsistent path selection

Jakob Heitz <jakob.heitz@ericsson.com> Sun, 27 March 2011 22:43 UTC

From: Jakob Heitz <jakob.heitz@ericsson.com>
To: "raszuk@cisco.com" <raszuk@cisco.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:45:23 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: IETF IDR <idr@ietf.org>, "grow@ietf.org" <grow@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [GROW] draft-ietf-grow-diverse-bgp-path-dist: risk of inconsistent path selection

Suppose 2 clusters.
Cluster 1 has 2 diverse path speakers, RR11 and RR12
and client C1.
Cluster 2 has 2 diverse path speakers, RR21 and RR22.
and client C2.

Suppose BGP Identifiers:
RR11 = 11  advertises best
RR12 = 12  advertises second best
RR21 = 21  advertises second best
RR22 = 22  advertises best

If the tie breaker reaches step (f),
C1 will choose second best and C2 will choose best.

The rule I state will prevent the inconsistency.

I assume that the IGP metric problem at the RRs
has been fixed such that each RR plane
sees the same IGP metric as its mates.

--
Jakob Heitz.