[Hipsec-rg] Routable IP addresses as LSIs

pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com (Pekka Nikander) Fri, 07 October 2005 04:45 UTC

From: pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 04:45:01 +0000
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] Routable IP addresses as LSIs

Tom,

> 3.   draft-henderson-hip-applications-01.txt
>
> Pekka suggested that this is soon ready for individual submission
> (Informational).  Please email the list with your comments, even if it
> is to say "I read the draft and have no comments."

I am starting to think that we probably should start pushing routable
IP addresses as LSIs, together with opportunistic HIP, for certain
uses.  In other words, our work on this draft has finally been able
to change my mind on this. :-)  We might want to call this "invisible
HIP", as whether there is HIP underneath or not is invisible to
applications.

I am planning to take this up during the shim6 interim in Amsterdam,
tomorrow and on Sunday, with the goal of shim6 and this "invisible
HIP" being semantically compatible with each other.  I'm afraid that
the actual HIP base exchange protocol is still far too heavy for
shim6, but I am hoping that we could share much of the path status
maintenance and packet transport mechanisms for non-ESP case.

--Pekka