[Hipsec-rg] draft status

thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com (Henderson, Thomas R) Fri, 07 October 2005 01:59 UTC

From: thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 01:59:01 +0000
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] draft status

We have a number of drafts in this RG.  Below I will summarize the
status of various drafts.  The overall IRTF process is found in RFC
2014.

Many drafts expire over time, but some live on in various forms.  One
path forward, which may apply to drafts in our RG, is for the draft to
transition into an IETF WG if such WG takes the draft as part of their
charter.  Another possibility is for drafts to be published as
informational RFCs as individual submissions to the RFC editor.  In that
case, they would start at the top of the process shown in the below
figure:
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/rfc-editor-process.gif

We can take on drafts as "draft-irtf" documents if the RG agrees to this
approach.  Typically, this would be the case if the draft were an
explicit charter item of the RG, or if there was a draft that received
significant interest and discussion/revision by the RG.  In such a case,
the draft may bear a note such as:
"   This document was produced by members of the IRTF's HIP Research
Group (HIPRG)."
although it doesn't significantly change the approval path of the
document.

We discussed 12 drafts in Paris.  Here is my understanding of the status
of the various drafts.

1.  draft-irtf-hip-experiment-01.txt=20

Some new material on this draft was reviewed.  Andrei requested inputs
from people who had additional experimental experience.

2.  draft-boeing-hiprg-opendht-00.txt

no action needed at this stage, other than comments-- still in early
form

3.   draft-henderson-hip-applications-01.txt=20

Pekka suggested that this is soon ready for individual submission
(Informational).  Please email the list with your comments, even if it
is to say "I read the draft and have no comments."

4.   draft-stiemerling-hip-nat-05.txt=20

As we have agreed at the meeting and on the list some time ago, we are
going to take this problem statement on NAT/firewall traversal as a
draft-irtf document.  Martin is submitting it before the deadline.

5.    draft-tschofenig-hiprg-hip-natfw-traversal-02.txt

The authors are inviting comments on this draft (again, even if you read
and have no comments, please provide feedback).

6/7.   draft-tschofenig-hiprg-hip-srtp-00.txt
       draft-tschofenig-hiprg-host-identities-02.txt=20

These drafts are still in work, according to Gonzalo's comments at the
Paris meeting.

8.   draft-matos-hip-privacy-extensions-00=20

This draft was new at the last meeting, and again, feedback is
requested.

9.   draft-nikander-esp-beet-mode-03.txt

I do not know the status of this.  It has been discussed also in mobike.

10.       draft-nikander-hip-path-00.txt=20

This draft has expired and needs updating, since there is some ongoing
work in this area (HIP over UDP).
=20
11.    draft-nikander-hiprg-hi3-00.txt=20

This draft was presented for informational purposes and I do not know
the authors' intent for the future of this draft.

12.    draft-mkomu-hip-native-api-00.txt=20

Again, the authors seek feedback on the list.