[Hipsec-rg] [IRSG] review of document draft-irtf-hiprg-nat-01

stiemerling at netlab.nec.de (Martin Stiemerling) Wed, 10 May 2006 11:52 UTC

From: "stiemerling at netlab.nec.de"
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 13:52:37 +0200
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] [IRSG] review of document draft-irtf-hiprg-nat-01

Hi all,

Many thanks to Kevin for his review. More inline.

Am 06.04.2006 um 16:18 schrieb Henderson, Thomas R:

> Below is Kevin Fall's review of draft-irtf-hiprg-nat-01.  We're
> expecting two other reviews in the coming weeks.
>
> The next steps are to assemble a RG response to these comments, and
> then
> share that response (and proposed changes) to the IRSG.  We would like
> to get the IRSG to declare 'ready to publish' as defined by the
> process
> in:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-rfcs-00.txt
> I'm serving the role of shepherd of this document (see the expired
> draft:
> http://psg.com/~mrw/PROTO-Team/shepherding-draft.txt).  We'll discuss
> proposed changes on the RG list.  This process is similar but not
> identical to IESG review.
>
> Tom

You are right in the sense that the document is solely handling
NAT and firewall middleboxes. Changed, unless somebody out
of the HIPRG has a major concern about it.

> In the abstract I'm not sure its fair to say it 'fundamentally'
> changes
> the way in which two Internet hosts communicate.  Indeed, in the
> proposal as is, IP addresses are still being used to do the actual
> data
> routing.  In addition, the phrase "two Internet hosts" gives me
> concern

Right, IP addresses are still being used but both "use internally"
the host
IDs. However, I still see the issue of this sentence being a very strong
argument, even though HIP is changing a lot. So, I have stripped out
the 'fundamentally' and it now reads:

   The Host Identity Protocol (HIP) changes the way in which two
Internet
   hosts communicate. One key advantage over other schemes is that HIP
   does not require modifications to the traditional network-layer
functionality
   of the Internet, i.e., its routers.

> that multicast is really completely not addressed.  This comes up
> again
> on page 2 where it says HIP "assumes simple Internet paths, where
> routers forward globally routable IP packets..."  I might says
> "globally
> routable unicast IP packets".  This problem isn't one directly related
> to the IRTF draft, however, and really is more a common on the IETF
> document.  I will say a little on it later.

Yes, indeed multicast is not handled, but this due to the nature of HIP.

> The discussion of NATP points out that the IPv4 HIP base exchange
> doesn't contain port numbers.  Is this fundamental?  Could the HIP
> exchange be carried, e.g. over UDP.  I think something to this
> effect is
> mentioned later in section 6, but not in exactly that form.

The specification of HIP is using plain IP payload and the encapsulation
in UDP has been ruled out in the first place. However, there is now
a proposal to run the HIP base exchange over UDP, as a result of this
IRTF traversal issue draft.

> I am curious also about whether the TCP alternate checksum (RFC1146)
> when the TCP pseudoheader cksum computation is changed to work on
> HITs.
> Again, this may be a comment on the IETF doc rather than this IRTF
> doc.

This is a comment towards the IETF document rather than this IRTF
document.

> Section 3 typo "This type of middlebox" -> "These types of
> middleboxes"
> Also, "forward or discard them" -> "forward, discard, or process
> them in
> some special way".

Fixed.

> Section 4 it says the section identifies possible changes to HIP that
> attempt to improve middlebox traversal, but it is only really for
> firewall and NAT traversal... see comment above.

Fixed to NAT and firewall.

> Paragraph #3 of section 4 starting with "When contacting peers"
> needs to
> be re-written (overloading of pronouns).

Change to:

    HIP nodes located behind a NAT must notify their communication peers
    about the contact information.  The contact information is the NAT's
    public IP address and a specific UDP port number.  This measure
    enables the peers to send return traffic to HIP nodes behind the
NAT.
    This would require a new HIP mechanisms.

> Paragraph #4 of section 4 mentions the rendezvous problem.  This is
> not
> a HIP-only problem, which should be noted, possibly with appropriate
> refs.  I3 and Keshav's TCA (http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/724596.html)
> come to mind, for example.

I do not know whether those references are appropriate, since the
rendezvous problem is as old as the usage of NAT. However,
they could show the relationship to other architectures. But I do not
see this draft as the place for this, since we do not go into detail
on the rendezvous point.

Thank you for the review!

   Martin for the authors