RE: [Hipsec] some comments for mm-03

"Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com> Fri, 21 April 2006 21:24 UTC

Subject: RE: [Hipsec] some comments for mm-03
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:23:54 -0700
From: "Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com>
To: Miika Komu <miika@iki.fi>
Cc: hipsec@lists.ietf.org

I have looked at this and am not sure whether there is an easy way to
add this without complicating the description more than necessary-- I
would be willing to consider a specific proposal, though.

> the Responder
> of the I2.

> > > Cookies might get burned if the indexing is affected by the
> > > IP addresses
> > > :)
> > >
> > I1 and I2 source addresses can be different, because the responder
> > can include a new preferred address in the R1 LOCATOR, and the
> > change in responder address might require a change in initiator
> > source address.
>
> Let me further illustrate my original point. In the Appendix A. (Using
> Responder Puzzles) of base draft, an example puzzle algorithm is
> illustrated. Even though the algorithm is only illustrative, I believe
> that any DoS resistant puzzle algo will use the I1 and I2 source IP
> address as part of the indexing scheme in practice, and this will most
> probably cause the base exchange to fail. The initiator keeps
> retransmitting I2 packets from I2_SENT state and responder
> just drops them
> due to failed cookie solutions. I believe that this is a very
> practical
> and real problem; I've encountered similar problems many times in our
> implementation, albeit on when implementing other things (NAT, rvs).

I see your practical point.  It seems to me that a host sending a R1
LOCATOR should not use the algorithm in Appendix A in the base draft
without some modification.  Maybe there should be a note to that effect.

> > Perhaps this wording is better:
> >
> > "       When the LOCATOR parameter is sent in an UPDATE
> packet, then the
> >         receiver will respond with an UPDATE
> acknowledgment.  When the
> >         LOCATOR parameter is sent in an R1 or I2 packet, the base
> > exchange
> >         retransmission mechanism will confirm its
> successful delivery.
> >         LOCATORs may experimentally be used in NOTIFY
> packets; in this
> > case,
> >         the recipient MUST consider the LOCATOR as
> informational and not
> >         immediately change the current preferred address,
> but can test
> > the
> >         additional locators when the need arises.  The use
> of LOCATOR
> >         in a NOTIFY message may not be compatible with middleboxes."
>
> The wording is better, but I claim that there is still a
> practical problem
> and important problem with cookie indexing. Perhaps we can
> just mention
> somewhere in the text (3.2.8. Initiating the protocol in R1 or I2?)
> something like this:
>
> I1 and I2 may be arriving from the different source addresses if the
> LOCATOR parameter is present in R1. In this case,
> implementations using
> pre-created R1 indexed with IP addresses may be failing
> cookie solutions
> of I2 packets inadvertly. As a solution, the responder's R1 indexing
> mechanism must be flexible enough to accomodate the situation when R1
> includes a LOCATOR parameter.

I am willing to add this-- thanks for pointing it out.

> compatible with

> > > Is there are specific reason why the reserved field cannot be
> > > just flags?
> >
> > I do not understand this request.  Aren't undefined flags the same
> > as reserved bits?
>
> Effectively yes. However, now thinking this again, the
> difference in using
> "reserved bits" rather than "undefined flags" may be that
> reserved bits
> could be allocated as a type field rather than single bit flags. As a
> consequence, it is more modular. So I am fine with this as it
> is, it seems
> to be case also in the base draft.

OK, will leave it as is.

> address [7] (128
> > >
> > > Suggest adding: Currently, mostly for non-ESP based usage.
> > >

> > This locator type is defined primarily for non-ESP-based usage.

> followed by an
> > > additional
> > >
> > > Suggest adding: Recommend for ESP based usage.
> > >
> > This locator type is defined primarily for ESP-based usage.
>
> Suggest adding the proposed hints for the sake of
> ease-of-readability. If
> I recall correctly, I started to wonder the difference between the
> locator types at this point. After reading the whole draft, I
> just added
> the sentences that would have satisfied my curiousity on the
> first reading
> round.

I did add those hints-- in my response, I should have made it clearer by
enclosing them in quotes.

> > > Add to this section some text about the correspondence
> > > between ESP_INFO
> > > and Type 1 LOCATORS.
> >
> >    The relationship between the
> >    announced Locators and any ESP_INFO parameters present
> in the packet
> >    is defined in Section 5.2.
>
> This was a readability note because the text references
> something that has
> not been discussed yet.

Ditto-- I actually added the above sentence, but didn't enclose it in
quotes, so you misunderstood my comment.  (i.e., it is now in there)

Tom