RE: [Hipsec] Base draft & ESP draft: snapshots

"Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com> Thu, 18 August 2005 13:59 UTC

Subject: RE: [Hipsec] Base draft & ESP draft: snapshots
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 06:58:52 -0700
From: "Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com>
To: Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com>, Petri Jokela <petri.jokela@nomadiclab.com>
Cc: hipsec@ietf.org
Sender: hipsec-bounces@lists.ietf.org

I would suggest not responding to NOTIFY (i.e., no change to current
text).

As for 6.14, I think it should be aligned to 5.4.4 which is the newer
text on this matter.

> >> Need to specify "LSI" briefly in Section 2 as it is used in 6.1
> >>

> > Should we remove all text related to LSIs, and concentrate only on
> > HITs in this draft? All LSI related stuff would be in
> > draft-henderson-hip-applications.
>
> Either way works for me.  I'd slightly prefer rewriting 6.1. and
> 6.2 so that they don't refer to LSIs as all, because IMHO those
> two sections should be completely rewritten anyway.   They are
> currently crumby, as a remaining issue resulting from the
> document split.

I think we need some section in this document that at least hints at how
one might map from applications (and application-level names for hosts)
to host identities, even if it mostly points to a separate document.
Note that the document it is pointing to is not in the current WG
charter to develop, but has instead been sent to the RG based on
Minneapolis meeting discussions.

I actually don't have a problem with how 6.1 and 6.2 are currently
written, except that they don't really allow for some of the
opportunistic HIP scenarios (e.g., HIT in TCP option) that have been
recently discussed (in which case, the address used by the application
may really be an IP address and not an LSI or HIT).  This part of HIP
implementation will likely be quite different from implementation to
implementation, so it seems best to keep it as a loose sketch of how
processing might be done.

Tom