[Hipsec] (not) using HITs as an application identifier

marcelo@it.uc3m.es (marcelo bagnulo braun) Mon, 19 July 2004 12:11 UTC

From: marcelo@it.uc3m.es
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:11:29 +0000
Subject: [Hipsec] (not) using HITs as an application identifier

El 16/07/2004, a las 0:20, Henderson, Thomas R escribi=F3:

My understanding is this would work similar to a NAT placed within the=20=

host.
So the wrap would inspect the contents of the packets and if it=20
recognizes one of the apps that the admin has designed as "refferal=20
apps" then it would substitute the AID for routable AIDs

Another possibility is that the resolver is capable of recognizing=20
"refferal apps", so when one of the "refferal  apps" asks the resolver,=20=

the resolver returns a routable AID instead of the HIT.

In any case, this at least requires manual configuration of what are=20
the apps that require refferals are.

There is an additional problem though, with long lived communications=20
(as you explained in your initial email)
Not only the apps that use refferals have problems but also the apps=20
that have long lived communications, with long periods of inactivity=20
also have problems with the garbage collection mechanisms.
I guess that it would also be required that the administrator defines=20
which apps fall in this category, but i am afraid that this will be=20
harder than identifying refferal apps.

Regards, marcelo