Re: [HOKEY] consensus call: key delivery security protocol

"T. Charles Clancy" <clancy@cs.umd.edu> Wed, 08 August 2007 18:51 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:51:16 -0400
From: "T. Charles Clancy" <clancy@cs.umd.edu>
To: Yoshihiro Ohba <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>
Subject: Re: [HOKEY] consensus call: key delivery security protocol
Cc: hokey@ietf.org

If AAA-proxy compromise is not part of our threat model, then all parties
are securely authenticated and keying material remains undisclosed to
non-trusted parties.  The draft-housley-aaa-key-mgmt doesn't say to whom
the keying material must remain confidential, or that only the two
endpoints can know a key.

Sure, a proxy can be compromised and misbehave, but so can a AAA server.

The cryptographic protocol academic in me cringes to say that, but I don't
see any practical way to avoid it.  We need to trust the AAA
infrastructure.  We can certainly document the concerns associated with a
hop-by-hop protocol in the security considerations section.

--
t. charles clancy, ph.d.  <>  tcc@umd.edu  <>  eng.umd.edu/~tcc
adjunct professor, electrical engineering, university of maryland