Re: [homenet] HNCP

Steven Barth <cyrus@openwrt.org> Fri, 14 February 2014 19:29 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 20:29:31 +0100
From: Steven Barth <cyrus@openwrt.org>
To: Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net>
Cc: "homenet@ietf.org Group" <homenet@ietf.org>, markus.stenberg@iki.fi, Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net>
Subject: Re: [homenet] HNCP

On 14.02.2014 17:45, Ray Hunter wrote:

> The biggest obvious question to me is why is it desirable to negotiate
> a common Homenet routing protocol on the fly?
>
> Upside is that it avoids a heated debate for now. But what else does
> it deliver?
I think your arguments about the downsides are valid and we have thought
about them as well. However the current approach seems to be practical
given the current situation that there is no common consensus about an
IGP or about there even being an IGP that fits all use cases. Some
people even argue that in some or many common cases an IGP might be
overkill.

On top of that I even think if there would be a consensus in the near
future then we still need autoconfiguration and source+dest routing
standardized and adopted for that given IGP which will probably take
quite some time as well.

So yes, there are limitations and hopefully this is not the final stance
on this topic and at some point there is some kind of industry-consensus
on an IGP. But honestly I don't see this happening any time soon.