Re: [homenet] Security goals

"Howard, Lee" <lee.howard@twcable.com> Tue, 13 March 2012 02:27 UTC

From: "Howard, Lee" <lee.howard@twcable.com>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:27:02 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, "homenet@ietf.org Group" <homenet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [homenet] Security goals

On Mar 11, 2012, at 5:44 PM, Fred Baker wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2012, at 5:04 PM, Tim Chown wrote:
>
>> It's good to see some traction in service discovery and naming.
>>
>> We also have a fifth area, security.  The text as it stands says a few
>> things that apply to this area, e.g.
>>
>> a) An assumption of "Simple Security" with default deny on the CER.
>>   This implies PCP or uPnP to support punching holes.  The text
>>    also talks about addressability vs reachability.
>
>> d) Mention of "Advanced Security", which talks about the ability to
>>    install 3rd party policies.  Some have suggested removing this
>>    from the initial homenet spec.
>
> One of these days I'll figure out what is "advanced" about "advanced security". I think the point of interest is that it can be expected to not be maintained (how many people maintain their norton-or-whatever-firewall contracts?) and will therefore allow a lot of stuff through.
>
> I will be doing a talk in opsawg trying to make the firewall story a little less "I don't like this and I do like that", more about what a firewall does and doesn't do and what models one might consider - at least three of them. If there is interest in homenet, I could comment on that discussion.
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-opsawg-firewalls
>  "On Firewalls in Internet Security", Fred Baker, 20-Jan-12

Any chance of having such a conversation in the Security Area WG?  I mentioned the debate to Sean Turner (Security AD), and he thought it would be an excellent topic for security experts to discuss.  However, since there had been no discussion on list, I did not get around to writing a draft, so I have nothing to submit for the agenda.

Lee