[homenet] Protocol Action: 'Special Use Domain 'home.arpa.'' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-homenet-dot-14.txt)

The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org> Wed, 06 September 2017 14:16 UTC

From: The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>
To: IETF-Announce <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Cc: homenet-chairs@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org, ray@bellis.me.uk, draft-ietf-homenet-dot@ietf.org, homenet@ietf.org, terry.manderson@icann.org, Ray Bellis <ray@bellis.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 07:16:15 -0700
Subject: [homenet] Protocol Action: 'Special Use Domain 'home.arpa.'' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-homenet-dot-14.txt)

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Special Use Domain 'home.arpa.''
  (draft-ietf-homenet-dot-14.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Home Networking Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-homenet-dot/

Technical Summary

>> This document updates RFC 7788 (Home Networking Control Protocol),
>> eliminating the recommendation for ".home" as the default top-level
>> name for name resolution within a homenet and replacing it with
>> ".home.arpa." per the RFC 6761 process.

Working Group Summary

>> The working group was strongly opposed to the idea of redacting the
>> ".home" TLD without a replacement TLD requested at the same time.
>> Upon granting of ".home.arpa." the open source homenet reference
>> implementation will be updated accordingly (but not before, as
>> removing the default TLD with no replacement would result in a
>> non-working system).

Document Quality

>> Existing open source implementations of the HNCP protocol do contain
>> the originally specified ".home" value, but it is expected that they
>> will change to ".home.arpa." on approval

Personnel

>> Ray Bellis is the document shepherd.  Terry Manderson is the
>> responsible AD.

IANA Note