Re: [http-auth] First draft of HTTP Signatures published

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Sun, 12 May 2013 13:23 UTC

Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 14:22:28 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com>
Cc: HTTP Auth WG <http-auth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [http-auth] First draft of HTTP Signatures published

Yoav,

On 05/12/2013 04:37 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:
> Hi Manu
>
> The HTTP-Auth working group is chartered to work on a very specific set of documents. OTOH, the WebSec working group is considering adopting a work item for session continuation. Session continuation is supposed to be a replacement for authorizing requests via session cookies. See the problem statement here:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-williams-websec-session-continue-prob-00
>
> If I understand correctly, your draft is aiming to solve that issue. So you might prefer to take your draft there.

Fair points. But I do think some discussion of the differences between
Manu's proposal and HOBA on this list might be beneficial before any
conclusion as to IETF WG venue etc are reached.

In  addition I think Manu regards his scheme as a primary user
authentication scheme and not as a session continuation scheme which
again argues for discussing it here.

The above discussion will be more useful when we've posted the rev
of HOBA, which will be in the next few days.

Cheers,
S. (as participant, of course;-)