Re: [httpapi] Scope of deprecation header

Erik Wilde <erik.wilde@dret.net> Sat, 02 January 2021 06:16 UTC

To: Darrel Miller <Darrel.Miller=40microsoft.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "httpapi@ietf.org" <httpapi@ietf.org>
From: Erik Wilde <erik.wilde@dret.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2021 22:15:57 -0800
Subject: Re: [httpapi] Scope of deprecation header

hello darrel.

thanks for your feedback, and apologies for the delay.

i discussed this with sanjay, and we agree that currently, there is a
bit of an implicit mismatch between some statements.

On 2020-12-02 18:07, Darrel Miller wrote:
> In the introduction of the document, the following statement is made.
>
>   * It just informs client of the fact that a resource is deprecated.
>
> In the documentation, there is further qualification,
>
> ØFor a resource, deprecation could involve one or more parts of
>
>   * request, response or both.
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dalal-deprecation-header-00#section-3.1 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dalal-deprecation-header-00#section-3.1>
>
> There is then a list of potential partial deprecations, including
> methods, headers and request or response body elements.
>
> By introducing the possibility of signalling the deprecation of some
> element of the overall HTTP interaction, it seems to be in conflict with
> the original statement that says a “resource is deprecated”.  It also
> introduces other conflicts such as not allowing multiple deprecation
> headers.  If deprecation can be partial, wouldn’t it be likely there
> would be multiple deprecations for a single resource?

you're absolutely right that being able to deprecate "aspects" of an API
complicates the picture a fair bit.

sanjay went through the APIs that we are aware of that use deprecation
(in some shape or form, not necessarily using our draft), and with one
exception, they all deprecate at the resource-level.

> The Sunset header is more explicit about the granularity of impact.  RFC
> 8594 describes the impact of the sunset header,
>
> Øindicates that a URI is likely to become unresponsive at a
>
> Ø   specified point in the future

in my mind, aligning with the sunset spec (which also works at the
resource level) would make sense. if we did choose the route of being
able to deprecate specific aspects, then we would need to have a
well-defined model of how to identify them, and we don't have that in
the current draft.

> Is it intended that there be different granularity for the deprecated
> header vs sunset header?

our proposal is to stay with the model that we currently support and
describe in the intro, and to fix the language so that it does not
create the impression that individual aspects can be deprecated using
this spec.

we could then see whether over time momentum is building up for a more
refined model. if that's the case, this might then be best addressed
with a different header field.

thanks and cheers and happy new year everybody,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:erik.wilde@dret.net |
            | http://dret.net/netdret    |